You all might appreciate that song- Phil Collins I think. For some reason it is a joke between us here, and we sing the chorus to each other on the phone.
Malawi is beautiful, relatively busy in a I'm-tired-at-night kind of way but I do have down time in the afternoons and after dinner if I don't fall asleep even earlier than I do in normal life (how is that possible? you ask). Try 730! I wake up at 4, though. Oh wait, I do that anyway!
Going to clinic everyday where kids are treated as outpatients for malnutrition is hectic at times, happy at times, and sad at others. The kids eat a therapeutic food that's basically peanut butter with vitamins. One little boy named Chasanje was brought by his grandma every week, and 2 weeks ago he had diarrhea all over my shirt, and it looked exactly like peanut butter, which is good because that means he is eating it. The only problem is that although his weight is fine, he continuously has edema (swelling due to malnutrition). But the nurses hadn't caught that he has been kept in the program for 3 months, when he is supposed to resolve the edema in 2 weeks! So after the diarrhea incident I developed a soft spot for him, and we are going to take him to the hospital next week. We take people to the hospital all the time, but this one we will ensure gets the best possible care because his parents are dead (probably HIV) and his edema is likely unrelated to malnutrition. Anyway, I will let you know what happens to little Chasanje soon. I'm warning you if I meet any more adorable orphans, I might bring home a Malawian baby.
Malawi is relatively low-key, small scale, as in I already know my way around the biggest city. This is probably because the economy is small scale, not the population.
I'm glad to hear from everyone! Thank you for posting! Love!
Rachel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I will support you as a single mother if you decide to adopt. Heck, I'll even babysit and volunteer for diarrhea duty (doodee hehe). How old is C-luvaroo?
Post a Comment